02 July 2011

((self-portrait)) 26/52







































all my bags are packed and i'm ready to go... charlottes. and i are home in alabama right now, for a visit and family reunion, and took this shot on my old front porch. we are so blessed to have the chance to fly home so often, thanks to a combination of hard work and my dad's generosity. it's travel days like last monday, and days like today, that i'm aware how far away from "home" i now live, in british columbia... growing up in alabama, i didn't fly on a plane 'til i was fifteen, but, from that first flight, i was hooked. travel, airports, arriving at a new and unknown destination filled with the potential of new discoveries and experiences, became one of my keenest fascinations in life. it wasn't until after i met the love of my life and married him [and, ofcourse, a dream honeymoon trip to italy.] that i moved away from home for the first time. to a different country. during my fragile moments of uncertainty as i prepared to make that first move not-quite 4 1/2 years ago, i found peace in the fact that life, together with marks., was going to be an amazing adventure. after what has become in my mind a golden, beautiful first year of marriage in ontario, this fact was underlined in a big way when, a few days prior to our first anniversary, marks. was offered a job in british columbia. as soon as marks. told me and said we would be praying about it, i already knew we were going. the timing was difficult as i was, that week, revisiting some of the emotions i held the week prior to my wedding, allowing the process of major life change to run it's course through my soul/system. at the same time, i was taken with the idea of the pacific northwest, both seattle and vancouver having spent years at the very top of my "cities to see" list. long story short, four months later, and three years ago TODAY, we said our goodbyes to some of the most amazing friends in the world, loaded the cat and dog into the cab of our penske truck, put on coldplay's "life in technicolor" [the soundtrack of our move.] and cried tears together as we crossed the bluewater bridge and watched sarnia fade in our rearview mirrors. but, we were together. facing the unknown and excited about it. i think canada day and july 2nd, 2008, will always stand as two of the most memorable days of my life. every bittersweet detail from our packing day and goodbyes, still rings in my brain three years later; however, joy swells in my heart at the depth of friendships we still maintain with our sarnia "friendfamily" despite the distance. we are blessed... three years later, and we have moved into a little apartment, attended mission foursquare church then northside community church, moved to a rental property in the country where we became parents to our darling bebe., then back to the same little apartment [plus extra room, because of our amazing "friendlady".], and back to mission foursquare, a few adjustments to our car collection, struggle and growth of a new business, re-establishment of my photography business, and many new friendships which have now become deep and lasting relationships, and still we feel incredibly blessed.

ironically, two days ago, marks. called me with the news that we are moving once again. yes, that makes five times in as many years, and no, i haven't seen the house yet :-). the amazing adventure continues, and when i get "home" to BC, an "unknown destination filled with the potential of new discoveries... experiences", and memories awaits me. i could live anywhere with marks. by my side, and the peace of knowing i'm where God put me. and each move is a beautiful reminder that this world is not my home. i'm just passin' through... God is Good.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow Katy...another move? Where to/ how far? Absolutely LOVE the pic of you and Charlotte...so adorable.

amber said...

teary eyed reading this because i relate to every word~ especially like the last about the peace that is there knowing you're in His will. and this - "each move is a beautiful reminder that this world is not my home." whispering a heart felt amen! from this side of canada. :)

love you friend.

fortalezasand said...

I know the feeling...just moved myself about 1 month ago from Watertown, SD to Moses Lake, WA. Was hoping to make a trip up to see you soon. Trying to find a job first so I could afford to come see you! It has been way too long! Where are you moving to? Not too far away, I hope?